Hank Vanderhage primarily focuses his legal practice on U.S. federal income tax law. He also provides general business and transactional representation and advice. Hank has been a certified public account, an attorney for the Internal Revenue Service, and Of Counsel at one of Denver's largest law firms. He obtained an accounting degree from Central Washington University, a Juris Doctorate from Gonzaga University School of Law, and a Master of Laws in Taxation from Georgetown University Law Center.
- Advises clients on corporate formations, reorganizations, redemptions, liquidations, spin-offs and other restructuring transactions.
- Negotiates and implements sophisticated limited liability company, partnership, and corporate structures to accommodate complex transactions.
- Works with foreign clients to structure inbound U.S. investments and operations and U.S. clients to structure their foreign investments and operations. This includes minimization of the impact of anti-deferral rules applicable to U.S. shareholders of controlled foreign corporations and passive foreign investment companies, as well as planning for the utilization of foreign tax credits.
- Structures and documents tax-free like-kind exchanges of real estate and personal property.
- Represents individuals, estates, and companies with federal tax audits, appellate reviews, and U.S. Tax Court litigation.
- Provides advice to public charities and private foundations from creation and securing tax exemption through general operational issues.
- Holland & Hart LLP; Attorney/Of Counsel; 2008 - 2012
- University of Colorado, Denver; Adjunct Professor; 2010 - 2011
- Brownstein Hyatt Farber Schreck, LLP; Attorney; 2006 - 2008
- IRS Office of Chief Counsel, National Office; Attorney; 2004 - 2006
- Larson Gross PLLC; Bellingham, WA; Certified Public Accountant; 1998 - 2001
- Colorado Super Lawyers "Rising Star" Tax Law 2011, 2012
- Colorado Bar Association Tax Section; Vice Chair (2012), Secretary (2011), Treasurer (2010),
Newsletter Editor (2008 - present)
- Business Entities; University of Denver College of Law; Fall 2012
- IRS Closing Agreements: Negotiating, Structuring and Pitfalls; Colorado Bar Association Tax Section; April 2012
- Taxation of Corporations and Shareholders; University of Colorado, Denver;
Fall Semester 2010, Fall Semester 2011
- Advising Your Small Business Client; Colorado Bar Association CLE; April 2009
- LLCs, LLPs, and Partnerships: Organization and Operation in Colorado; Lorman Education Services; July 2008
- Recent Regulatory Changes to Circular 230; Colorado Bar Association Tax Section; April 2008
- Georgetown University Law Center; LL.M. (Taxation)
- Gonzaga University School of Law; J.D. summa cum laude
- Central Washington University; Bachelor of Science (Accounting)
- Colorado Bar
- Washington Bar
- United States Tax Court Bar